January 5, 2020
You’ve heard your dentist in Jacksonville talk about the importance of regular dental checkups and cleanings. You know they’re beneficial and necessary in order to prevent things like tooth decay, cavities, and gum disease, so then why do so many people forgo their appointments and opt to skip out on taking care of their teeth and gums? While the reasons are many, it is in your best interest to regain control of your oral health and start off the new year on the right foot by scheduling an appointment with your dentist. Find out what you can expect during your visit and what you can do to up your oral hygiene game at home, too.
Why Are Dental Checkups Important?
Tooth decay, gum disease, cavities, and oral cancer – these are all dental problems that can pose a serious risk to your mouth and body if left untreated. The two areas are so closely interconnected that it’s understandable why an infection that starts in the gums can easily enter the bloodstream and lead to cardiovascular and respiratory disease as well as neurological conditions and other serious health problems.
While you may not be able to prevent all types of health issues by keeping your teeth and gums clean, it’s certainly not a bad place to start. With regular visits to see your dentist, you are accomplishing three things:
- Saving money: Most insurance companies cover all or some of preventive services, so, your out of pocket costs are little to nothing.
- Preventing problems: By allowing your dentist to examine and clean your teeth and gums, you are taking a step to prevent problems from occurring later on down the road.
- Saving time: By keeping up to date on your six-month checkups, you are avoiding the possibility of spending additional time in the dentist’s chair for restorative or emergency services.
What Can You Expect During Your Visit?
When you arrive for your dental visit, you will first be greeted by a warm and welcoming front office staff. From there, you will be escorted to a treatment room where a dental hygienist will thoroughly remove any plaque and tartar buildup from your mouth, measure the depth of your gum pockets, and give your teeth a final polish, resulting in a clean and refreshed smile.
You will also be examined by the dentist who will inspect each tooth and your gum tissue as well as your bite and any restorative work you might have. Additionally, they will perform an oral cancer screening to check for abnormalities and review any dental x-rays to better understand what’s happening beneath the surface.
Tips to Follow for Better Oral Health at Home
In order to maintain optimal oral health year-round, it’s important that you practice good oral hygiene at home. Some tips to follow include:
- Brushing your teeth twice a day for two minutes while using fluoride toothpaste
- Flossing at least once a day
- Rinsing with an ADA-approved mouthwash
- Avoiding sugary and starchy foods that can cause harmful bacteria to spread and lead to cavities
- Protecting your mouth from injury by wearing a mouthguard while playing sports
If you’ve made some new year’s health resolutions, make sure to add “improving your oral health” to the list. After all, there’s no better way to make a stellar first impression than with a show-stopping smile.
About the Practice
At Dental Center of Jacksonville, our dental professionals want you to feel good about your smile. Offering a wide range of services, it is preventive care that is most important, as it is designed to prevent problems from the start. As long as you are diligent about keeping your regular dental checkups and cleanings every six months, you can be well on your way to optimal oral health with the help of our expert team. If you’re ready to make 2020 a year of self-improvement, start with your smile. Learn more about how we can help you. Contact us at (904) 262-9466 today!
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.